Capital Makers is located in the lower level of the Carson City Library. The purpose of the area is to provide open access to information
and various technologies to enhance professional, personal and educational goals. It is a place to gain hands-on experience,
knowledge, skills, and to make stuff! We encourage socialization, creativity and tinkering in this area.
The Carson City Library was awarded a federal Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA)
state grant through Nevada by the Nevada State Library, Archives and Public Records (NSLAPR)
With the grant funding, the library will create a community learning space at the Carson City Library. Our mission is to provide
a learning space to inspire creativity, promote skill building, and provide opportunities. By providing a Makerspace with equipment,
tools, partnerships and community interest, we are serving as an innovation center for our community.
Makerspaces are spaces where makers (people who make things) can participate in hands on innovation, learning, and creating. The
maker movement is a do-it-yourself culture where people are able to participate in activities that include engineering, electronics,
robotics, 3D printing, multimedia, textile design and traditional arts and crafts.
Makerspace Press Release
Click on the tabs (above) to explore and learn more about the Makerspace at the Carson City Library.
Capital Makers Requirements
A Premiere card is required to use the Capital Makers equipment, information on how to upgrade to this card type can be found
Ages 14+ can receive certification. A single 10-13 year old must be accompanied by a certified premiere card holder to complete
STEP 2 of the certification process and to work on projects during open hours.
Participants must read and sign the Capital Makers liability waiver and Capital Makers Rules and Regulations forms before completing
their first in-person certification completion appointment. The documents only need to be signed once, unless revisions are
made to the original forms.
The following is a listing of available Capital Makers equipment:
You must receive certification on equipment before use. This is a two step process outlined below:
STEP 1: Niche Academy
- Go to Niche Academy or see the tutorial list below and select the equipment training module you would like to complete.
- You must complete the online training module with a score of 80% or higher. Training courses can be retaken until a passing
score is obtained.
- Certain machines require a prerequisite. To become certified on the Embroidery Machine, you must be certified on the Sewing
Machine first. To become certified on the Ultimaker 3D Printer, you must be certified on the Makerbot Replicator 3D Printer
STEP 2: In-person Certification Completion Appointment
- To book an in-person certification completion appointment, click on the following link and follow the instructions on the webpage:
- Participants must bring their Premiere library card to the appointment.
- Participants will have up to 45 minutes to complete the course and receive certification.
- If the participant has not arrived 15 minutes after the scheduled reservation, the reservation will be canceled.
- Reservations must be submitted 12 hours before the certification completion appointment. Same day reservations cannot be made.
- Participants have three attempts for completing the in-person certification on a single piece of equipment. If the participant
does not pass after three attempts, they must wait one month before they can schedule a new in-person certification appointment
for that piece of equipment.
- For support email: email@example.com.
The Makerspace will rely on community support to implement free, drop-in crafting workshops, hands on projects and skill sharing
sessions, topic series seminars with a Makers-In Residence, and Maker Faire events to showcase programs and products. Makerspace
programming will include topics in the following:
- textile and sewing
- multimedia arts, digital production and design
- digital fabrication (CAD, machining, laser cutting, 3D printing)
- other crafting